Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Freedom is never free


Today I came across the quote "Freedom is Never Free" and it really made me stop to think about all of the men and women who are currently serving in the United States military.  The sacrifices that these brave men and women make have really become apparent to me in the last few days, especially with the tragedy that recently took place in Ft Hood.  Every day there are soldiers risking their lives in far away countries so that those of us in America are still safe.  Every day there are soldiers who have their lives taken so that we can be free, sometimes even on our own soil.  Every day there are soldiers giving up 99% of their free time to study and train so that they can risk their lives for us in the future.  This last one is the instance that has really hit home for me lately.  I can imagine how hard it must be for the families who are separated because one member is serving overseas or training in a different state, but I never imagined how hard it would be to be living in the same house with one of these soldiers who is training. 

Kevin has barely been in flight school classes a week, but his entire life has already been consumed by it.  I sometimes feel selfish because I want him to spend more time with Kerriann and me.  I just pray that I am strong enough to realize that he is doing something that is great for our country, and that I need to give him the space that he needs to learn as much as he can.  The job that he is training to do is a dangerous one and I would hate for him to miss some detail because he wasn't able to concentrate to study.  I am so proud of him that he is going to be living out his dream.  It is scary at times to think that he will be flying helicopters in dangerous areas one day but I know that it is what he wants to do and I support that 100%.

This is the first year that I really have a deep understanding of Veteran's Day and I am sad to admit that I didn't take it seriously in previous years.  I want to take this time to say thank you to everyone who has served in the past or who is currently serving in the military.  To my grandfathers, to Kevin, to Sean, to Alaina's sister Kati's husband, to Evan, Greg, and Jason who I know from high school, to those who are POW's and MIA...thank you all for what you have done and sacrificed for me & my family and friends.  I could never thank you all enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment