Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our First Mother's Day Together

This year I celebrated my first Mother's Day of actually being a mother.  Last year Kevin and I celebrated, but it was nothing compared to this year.  This year, I knew just how badly mothers deserve to be celebrated and pampered on their special day :).  In fact, it made me realize that we need a special day of rest for mothers at least once a month... ha ha!

My day started by Kevin waking up early with Kerriann and letting me sleep in.  It's always hard for me to go back to sleep now that my body is used to 5am wake up calls, but it was nice to be able to relax and not start my day so early.  After I got up, I had breakfast and opened my cards from Kevin and Kerriann.  They were so sweet, and Kerriann even got me a $50 spa gift card.  I still haven't used it, but I'm sure it will be very enjoyable when I finally do!  I'm really looking forward to a massage.

After breakfast we relaxed for awhile before heading to Dothan for lunch.  There aren't many unique options as far as dining out goes, so I picked Applebee's.  I was starving and really craving their boneless wings ;).  We had a great lunch, and after that we headed home to relax.  I spent the rest of the day taking it easy while Kevin changed every diaper and helped around the house with the laundry and dishes.  It was so nice!  I haven't relaxed that much in a year and a half.

This year I was really able to understand the full meaning of being a mother.  After being so sick, but having to just keep going for Kerriann, I really knew the meaning of being strong.  Living in Alabama and taking care of her alone for the most part has been so hard.  There is no one to call on the days that you are tired and need a break.  You have to keep going even when you haven't eaten, slept or showered in days.  You know that your job is to take care of this tiny human being and to make sure that they have the best of everything, even if that means making sacrifices.  Once you are a mother, it really makes you appreciate your own mother on a whole new level.  You really have no clue what they gave up for you until you do it for your own child.  This is not a negative thing though, seeing the outcome of your sacrifices everyday is well worth it.  I am so blessed to be the mother of such a beautiful, perfect little girl!

As always, Mother's Day comes with a little bit of sadness for me, as it marks the anniversary of my Nonna's passing on.  This year made three years, though it seems like just yesterday.  Thinking about losing her makes it even harder for me to be away from my mom on Mother's Day.  I really hope that next year we can be together to remember and celebrate her life.  We miss you Nonna!

I hope all of the other mother's out there, old and new, had a wonderful Mother's Day... I'm sorry this wish is so belated!

I was still getting over being sick... so I don't look amazing... but here we are in the backyard on our first Mother's Day together!

No comments:

Post a Comment